#100 FINLAND 100th ANNIVERSARY

When I noticed that my 100th post on this blog is coming up, I couldn't withstood the temptation to post about my project which I made during autumn 2016 and winter 2017 (Actually this was my school project in art class but I never managed to do it by a deadline). This photography and video project is about the fashion of Finnish women from 18th to 21st century. Since 2017 is 100th anniversary year to Finland as an independent country I wanted to do this kind of project back then.

I made up three outfits which presents the three stages of development of the fashion of Finnish women. Of course those outfits aren't 100% historically accurate because my budget for these photoshoots and video was so much as zero euros. But I tried to get them so close to the original styles as I could with my equipments. I wrote a little info about every style/outfit, but of course that info is based on what I've heard or read about those topics, so if you want to know more I recommend you to search it by yourself (for example about Finnish history, Finnish folk costumes, etc.).

FINLAND 100th ANNIVERSARY LOOKBOOK

The 18th and 19th century


In the 18th and 19th century Finns wore same kind of casual clothes as everyone else in Europe/Scandinavia but they also wore folk costumes and every area had (and still have) their own version of it. The poor also copied high-borns dressing style in this matter. In the 19th century Finland was mostly agricultural society and most of people lived in a little villages. During the time of national romanticism (the end of 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century) the Finnish folk costumes were adored because they're a part of our national identity even though they were displaced by a casual clothing.

The middle of 20th century


In the middle of 20th century (from 1930s to 1960s) women wore mostly what they got, especially during the Second World War, because of the financial situation. That's why women recycled old clothes to make new ones. The women's fashion also got impacted by military clothes all over Europe during 1940s, but most of women still wore more often dresses and skirts than jeans. 

The end of 20th century and 21th century


Since the 1950s Finland has become more urbanized and that is the one of the reasons why there started to be more alternative styles in the end of 20th century. Most of Finns moved from the countryside to the suburbs (which are filled with apartment houses) because of the work. Nowadays Finnish women wear what they want, alternative style or not. Still the most iconic Finnish outfit is a shell suit and I could say it's our other folk costume.

Model(s): Miss Liida Inez
Assistant: -
Date of photoshoot: 29th to 30th of October 2016
Place: Helsinki

I could have wrote this post in Finnish, because it could have been easier to me and I could have tell more specific info,
but somehow I felt I want to write this post more for non-Finns than for Finns.

4 comments:

  1. Tää on mielenkiintonen ja upeita kuvia! ^^ Näyttää just siltä että voiskin olla oikeesti sen ajan vaatteita!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiitos paljon! :) Tätä oli kyl mielenkiintoista kans tehäkki, haha.

      Delete
  2. Herranjumala kui siistiä! JA toi keskimmäinen kyl kivasti sopii tän hetken teemaan ku tehään koulussa epookkeja~

    ReplyDelete